Friday 17 April 2015

London Calling

London is my favourite city to visit in the world. It has a lot to offer. It is very easy to navigate around using the Tube, buses or walking. London is a great mix of modern and ancient. It has lots of history, but also has a lot of cultural delights too.

Parliament and the Westminster Clock


And it is full of famous attractions.

Some of the best attractions that I suggest you visit are:

The British Museum


I missed this on my first trip to London, so it was on my list for things to see when I returned ten years later.

The entrance to the British Museum

The Great Court


One thing I really wanted to see was the Rosetta Stone. This stone helped decipher Egyptian hieroglyphs. It was obtained by the British and moved to London in 1802. The Rosetta Stone is behind glass. You are allowed to take photos, but have to deal with the reflection of your flash. The whole Egyptian wing of the British Museum was exciting to see.

The Rosetta Stone

Another gallery that I really enjoyed was the Clock gallery. This was so interesting and a huge surprise! There are lots of different types of clocks and watches to look at.

The clock that is just outside the entrance to the Clock Gallery

The last section that I wandered through was the Chinese section. This included items from the Ming Dynasty, and lots of statues, ornaments, etc from China. It was very interesting.

A Chinese figurine
Admission is free. The British Museum is open late on Fridays and is open every day except January 1, December 24, 25 and 26th.


The Tower of London


One of the most famous and oldest attractions in London is the Tower of London. This was famous for the beheadings that took place there. In particular, Anne Boelyn and Katherine Howard. 

The Tower of London beside the Thames River


It is famous for being the hiding place of Elizabeth Woodville and her children during the War of the Roses. Also located here is the Bloody Tower where her sons, the Little Princes, were murdered in 1483. 

The Tower of London also houses the Crown Jewels. This gallery was very interesting to see. I especially enjoyed seeing the crown that Queen Elizabeth II wore at her Coronation.

The Tower Bridge


One great way to see London and arrive at the Tower is to go in a boat along the Thames. The Thames River Cruise offers a one day pass for $18 CAD one way. There is also a hop-on-hop-off option for $33 CAD.

Or you can buy a London Pass and get into several attractions including the Tower of London for one price. 

The London Eye


The London Eye is one modern attraction that provides a great way to view London from above. This was built to celebrate the dawning of the 21st century, so originally was called the Millenium Wheel.

You can buy online and skip the line-up for $56 CAD.

The London Eye

Notting Hill


I really like the movie Notting Hill, so wanted to see where the events in the film were located. I walked down Portobello Road, one of the most famous roads in London. This led me to the Blue Door Tea House. I was unable to find the Blue Door house (now has a black door), but I know it's there! There was a shop called "Notting Hill" that looked similar to the travel book shop from the film.

Notting Hill

Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park


I went to Kensington Palace, but did not go around the front! I can't believe I forgot to get a photo and walk around the front of the palace, but I had a lot to see and do and not a lot of time. So I went around back and walked through the orangery behind Kensington Palace and walked by the Statue of Queen Victoria. I stopped for a minute beside the pond before starting toward Hyde Park.

The Orangery behind Kensington Palace

The Peter Pan Statue was commissioned by Peter Pan's creator, JM Barrie in 1902. It is located in Kensington Gardens. The statue has squirrels, mice, and faeries climbing up to meet Peter Pan.

Peter Pan Statue


The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain is located in Hyde Park. This was a bit disappointing, but is located in a peaceful area so is a good place for a rest. The fountain is a meandering, low fountain that looks like a drain. The idea is that people can sit beside it and wade in it and enjoy peace and serenity. It guess that was achieved, but I found it slightly unimpressive. It is in a nice park, though.

Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain


I wish I had had more time to spend in Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park because it would be a nice place to take a break from the rush and push of the city.

For more information about other areas and attractions in London, please see my articles about Westminster Abbey, Abbey Road, and the London Tube.

Westminster Abbey
Abbey Road
Mind The Gap

~Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...