Tuesday 2 October 2012

Not Anne's Version

“Life is worth living as long as there's a laugh in it.” 
― L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Green Gables

I have been traveling in Eastern Canada. One place I have always wanted to see is the home of Anne of Green Gables - Prince Edward Island. I stopped in Charlottetown, the capital and birthplace of Confederation. PEI is known for a several things including: Red beaches, Confederation, and Anne of Green Gables.

I went to the Anne of Green Gables store in Charlottetown. It has everything you could want relating to Anne: books, magnets, dolls, calendars, and Raspberry Cordial. 

A bit of background to my story is a chapter from Montgomery's book. For those who are not familiar with Anne Shirley, she has a knack for getting into trouble. So here is what happened when Anne's best friend, Diana Barry, came over for afternoon tea.

Anne invited Diana over for tea one afternoon, and it was very special because Marilla Cuthbert had given her permission to serve Diana Raspberry Cordial, an extra special drink. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to Anne, the Raspberry Cordial was not in the pantry. After searching for a bit, Anne found a bottle of something that she thought was Raspberry Cordial. It turned out to be Currant Wine, a specialty of Marilla's. Diana got drunk and they were not allowed to see each other.

So, back to my story...I was at the Anne of Green Gables shop in downtown Charlottetown buying my souvenirs, including Raspberry Cordial. A lady came up behind me at the counter and noticed my bottle. She asked where I got it, so I told her. I was still paying for my purchases when she returned to the counter with her own bottle of Raspberry Cordial. She asked the teller if it contained alcohol. The teller and I looked at each other and laughed. The teller said to her: "No, it's not Anne's version!"


Raspberry Cordial

~Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...