Monday 26 November 2012

Middle Earth Tours on the North Island

“I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, 
and it's very difficult to find anyone.' ~J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

In honour of The Hobbit opening next month, and premiering in Wellington, New Zealand November 28, I thought I would talk about the Tolkien inspired tours available in Middle Earth (otherwise known as New Zealand). Specifically on the North Island.


The first thing I did when I arrived in New Zealand was head to Rotorua. Tours to Matamata, where the Hobbiton Movie Set is located, can be arranged from the tourism office in Rotorua, or at any hostel. I highly recommend it. www.hobbitontours.com


The cost of the tour from Matamata is $75NZD, from Rotorua it is $110NZD (as of today's date). The tour includes Bag End, though I couldn't go up to it and it was behind scaffolding, due to preparations for filming. Usually guests are able to go up to Bag End. The party tree, that was featured in The Fellowship of the Ring, the pub, and several hobbit holes are found among the rolling hills that comprise the sheep farm where the set is located.  Photos can be taken, but you are asked not to post the photos to any social media outlet, or email them. It was very exciting to see Hobbiton, the only thing that was unShire-like the day I visited was the rain!


I highly recommend the Lord of the Rings tour in Wellington.  There are two options, both can be bought from the toursim office (iSite). There is a half day tour that includes Mount Victoria where the four hobbits first encountered the black rider, and Kaitoko Regional Park where Rivendell scenes were shot. The full day tour also includes lunch, Peter Jackson's film studios, and a visit to the Weta Cave in Miramar. 

www.wellingtonrover.co.nz/rover_rings_tour.htm

Me and Gollum, Weta Cave
For a more in-depth description of my day tour in Wellington, see my blog post: Lord of the Rings Tour in Wellington, NZ from May 2012www.nomadgirltravels.blogspot.ca/2012/05/lord-of-rings-tour-in-wellington-nz.html

Tours are also offered in Tongariro National Park, where quite a few of the Mordor scenes were filmed. www.tourism.net.nz/region/ruapehu/ruapehu---tongariro-national-park/tours/lord-of-the-rings-tours Tours can be booked through hostels in and around Tongariro National Park. Or another option is to hike the Tongariro Crossing. This is New Zealand's most popular day hike. It takes approximately eight hours to complete and it is recommended that hikers have layers of clothing and a lunch with them, due to the changing weather patterns on the volcanoes. www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz/

~Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...