The Pyramids of Giza

 The Great Pyramid of Giza is one the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and the only one still standing along with three smaller pyramids. Constructed 5000 years ago, the Pyramids of Giza are truly amazing and something to experience. I grew up reading National Geographic magazines and books about the Pyramids. It was truly the trip of a lifetime to be able to travel to Egypt and experience them for myself!


The Pyramids


I traveled to Egypt during low season in July. It was extremely hot - average 45 degrees Celsius! But a plus to those temperatures and low season is that the crowds stay away.

My tour guide always made sure that we did the opposite of what everyone else was doing to avoid the crowds. So, I visited the Pyramids first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds and the heat. There was so much information to take in that I took notes and kept asking questions long after we had left the site.

There are 124 pyramids all over Egypt that were burial tombs for 30 ruling families or dynasties. The Pyramids of Giza are the most famous. These were built for one family - the 4th dynasty so they are from the Old Kingdom. The Great Pyramid was built for Khufu, who was the pharoah. The Second Pyramid was built by his son, Khafre.

It was amazing to be there! Three members of my group decided to go inside the Great Pyramid. Our guide told us that it is very claustrophobic and hot inside that there is nothing much to see. The people who went inside said the same thing.

I decided to stay outside. Most members of my group climbed up to the entrance to look in. The blocks are huge and uneven, so I decided to stay on the ground and just walked up to it and touched a few blocks. It was exciting to be there in person! I touched a piece of history!

I had the opportunity to ride a camel at the Pyramids. I rode from the Great Pyramid to the Second Pyramid. I wasn't securely settled in the seat on my camel so I spent most of the journey trying not to fall off! I did manage to get one photo near the end and the camel guide took a photo of me with the Second Pyramid behind me. It was a very cool experience! I rode a camel at the Pyramids! We went through a quarry, which was interesting.

There is so much history and things to remember about the Pyramids! I took a lot of notes, but it is a lot of information. I highly recommend visiting the Pyramids if you ever get the chance!

~Angie

Popular posts from this blog

The Deadliest Place On Earth

Westminster Abbey

Abbey Road