Saturday 8 June 2013

Abbey Road

On my second trip to London, I made a point of going to see Abbey Road Studios. I wanted to see where the Beatles recorded their music. The studios are a bit off the beaten track (for tourists), and it takes some maneuvering to get there, but it was well worth the trip!

Abbey Road Studios are located in the City of Westminster, an area of London that is accessible by bus not far from Baker Street and the Baker Street tube station. It took me about half an hour to find the correct bus stop as it was a few blocks over from Baker Street.

The Road Sign on a building across from Abbey Road Studios

I wasn't sure which  bus stop to get off on Abbey Road, so I got off at the first one I came to. Fortunately, this dropped me right in front of Abbey Road Studios! The building is behind a wrought iron fence. Over the years Beatles fans have written messages on the fence posts - some good, some not so good. One person wrote: "The Beatles Music Sucks!" Abbey Road Studios is a mecca for Beatles fans, so this made me wonder why that person even bothered to come to Abbey Road in the first place, as the studios are off the tourist track.

Abbey Road Studios


Of course, any true Beatles fan must have their photo taken while crossing the cross walk in front of the studios. This cross walk is not the one that the band crossed in their famous Abbey Road album cover photo. That cross walk is further up Abbey Road. But fans and tourists have taken photos at the cross walk in front of the studios for years.

Crossing Abbey Road - Beatles Style!

Though Abbey Road Studios are a bit hard to get to on limited time in London, this excursion is well worth the trip! Check it out next time you are in London.

~Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...