What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpacked throughout New Zealand for ten-and-a-half months, finally going to Fiji for one week on my way home. I was gone for exactly one year.

I also lived out of a suitcase for one year. I had a smaller suitcase so I had to be selective about my packing. I had one pair of dress pants, two pairs of jeans, one pair of capris, three t-shirts, one hoodie, one sweater, one dress, one skirt, and dress shoes, plus pyjamas. I bought two more sweaters in New Zealand for work. I packed flip-flops to use in the common showers, one book (you can exchange books at hostels as you go), my limited toiletries (no hairspray, or any extras like hair gel), and two towels. I learned to be creative and mix-and-match my clothing so that I could have work clothes for a full week.

I learned a lot about money management while I was traveling. Before I left Canada, I added my mom to my bank account so that she could deposit money if I needed it. If you use your bank card overseas there are certain banks that you should use and not others. I found out after being charged an arm and a leg every time I withdrew cash from a bank machine, that my bank from home had an agreement with a specific bank throughout the South Pacific. Check which bank in the country you will be going to has an agreement with your home bank. It will save you a lot of money in the long run.

I learned to be selective when shopping for groceries and when eating out. I made some mistakes but I learned from them. I went to a fancy restaurant in Wellington because they were advertising French Onion Soup. I should have clued in when the menu did not have a price listed. I paid $20 for one bowl of French Onion Soup and a Coca-Cola. I quickly learned which restaurants and cafes offered the best bang for my buck!

I bought an iPhone just prior to leaving because it would allow me to use the internet and phone home. It seemed like a good idea when I bought it. The sales rep assured me that I could use a New Zealand SIM card with my iPhone. This was not true. I had to buy a mobile in New Zealand so that I could have a New Zealand number for employers to call me. It took several months to realize that I should have my iPhone on Roaming, I was paying a lot to use my phone for things like checking emails and taking photos. I don't think it was the best purchase for my circumstances. Make sure that your phone will work in your new country and make sure you have it switched to Roaming for the area you are visiting. Otherwise it will cost you a bundle!

Lastly, safety while traveling - particularly for women. In Australia I booked a hop-on/hop-off bus tour, which was a great way to meet people and see the country in a short period of time. In New Zealand I did a mix of traveling with a tour group and traveling by myself. When I traveled by myself (on the bus), I always made sure that I would arrive at my destination with plenty of daylight left to find my accommodation and eat before bed. Several times, I would be reminded to be careful and stay safe. New Zealand is a safe country to visit, and it can lull you into a sense of security. But like every other country, there is crime and sometimes crimes against tourists do occur. Just use your head, do not do anything you would not do at home, and be careful and aware while you are traveling.

Stay connected too. It is very important to send an email or phone home every once in a while - I usually would send an email about every four days because my mom would worry if she hadn't heard from me. Sometimes something beyond your control will happen too and it is important to update your family and friends on your whereabouts. I was on the South Island, on my way to Christchurch (but not there yet) when a 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit Christchurch. I had not planned to send an email until I got to Queenstown two days later, but I had to send emails and update Facebook when the earthquake hit because people were concerned that I was there and possibly hurt. Keep in contact and let your family and friends know that you are okay.

Traveling is great and can be a life-altering experience. Happy travels!

~Angie



Popular posts from this blog

The Deadliest Place On Earth

Westminster Abbey

Abbey Road