Friday 29 August 2014

A Ghost Tour of Edinburgh's Underground Vaults

When I was In Edinburgh, Scotland, in 2009, I didn't have a lot of time to look around or do see anything in the city. I arrived in late afternoon and was leaving the next morning again on a tour, so I needed to find something that was quick and available for the evening. I had wanted to do a ghost tour of the underground vaults, and fortunately a roommate at the hostel did too.

We left to meet up with our tour on the High Street around 7pm. I didn't have a ticket yet, but was able to buy one from the guide.

There are lots of options for tours of Edinburgh, including: historical tours of the underground vaults, Edinburgh Castle, the old town and the new town, walking or bus tours. My tour was a walking tour that included the underground vaults and alleyways off the High Street. It was very interesting.

The first thing our group was told before we started was that there was a particularly aggressive ghost called "The Watcher" who followed groups through the vaults. Apparently he was aggressive to the point where he was pushing people on the tours. I decided to stay near the front of the pack upon hearing this bit of information!

We were led through the underground vaults and told stories about the ghosts that haunted each area. One room was noticeably colder than the others. When I commented on this, the guide said that it was because there were two ghosts in this room - a cobbler and a little boy. The little boy sometimes held the hand of blond females in the group. My roommate and I, both blond, looked at each other and I asked: "Do you feel anything?" She didn't and neither did I. Maybe he wasn't active at that moment. Our guide also mentioned that because these two ghosts were good, "the Watcher" did not enter that particular room.

The doorway into the main room of underground vaults

The underground vaults


At the last room on the tour, our guide told us to go inside the room. Then she said: "You notice that I am not in there with you? That is because this is the most haunted room in the vaults." This room was where it was discovered that the underground vaults were haunted. The tours of these vaults were originally historical only. One day, while a tour was taking place, in this particular room a girl was standing at the back. She became increasingly agitated and eventually ran screaming out of the room and then outside. When a guide ran after her to ask what was wrong, she told him that someone had been moving around her whispering in her ear and blowing on her neck. Someone invisible...

We were led outside and told stories of Burke and Hare, a famous murderous duo from the 19th century and shown the side streets and alleyways. Our tour ended with a drink in a pub.

It was very interesting to see the underground vaults of Edinburgh. They left quite an impression on me! I am glad I had the opportunity to do this tour and I highly recommend taking a ghost tour of the vaults if you are in Edinburgh.

For more information, go to: http://www.mercattours.com/home.asp

~Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...