Saturday 2 August 2014

Westminster Abbey

A church of some variety has stood on the grounds at Westminster, London, by the Thames for over one thousand years. It has been the location for coronations since 1066. The current church has been standing since 1245 and is built in the Gothic style of architecture. Seventeen kings and queens are buried there. It has been featured in films including The Da Vinci Code and The Stone of Destiny, a film about the heist of 1950 when Scottish students stole the Stone of Scone and took it back to Scotland.

Westmister Abbey


Current admission fees, as of today's date, are:

  • Adults £18.00
  • Concessions £15.00 (Over 18 students (on production of a valid student card) and 60+) 
  • Schoolchildren (11 - 18 years) £8
  • Child under 11 free accompanied by an adult 
  • Family £36.00 (2 adults and 1 child)
    £44.00 (2 adults and 2 children)
  • Entry for all the above includes a free audio-guide each

I was really excited to see Westminster Abbey because of my interest in Queen Elizabeth I, and because it was where Princess Diana's funeral was held. It was very interesting to walk around. I did an audio tour so that I could wander around the abbey at my own pace. I was also excited to see Charles Dickens' grave. More recently, it was the location for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding.

More information can be found at: http://www.westminster-abbey.org/

~Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...