Tuesday 8 January 2013

One Day in Montréal

I spent one full day in Montréal during my tour of Eastern Canada. When I arrived I decided that due to travel times and just time-restraints in general, given I had one day, I would see two areas of Montréal: Vieux-Montréal (Old Montréal) and Mont-Royal.

Vieux-Montréal

It was very important that I see the Old City when I was in Montréal. I took the Métro from my hostel. The Métro was really easy to use and was reasonably priced at $3.00 per trip.

This area of the city has a very European feel. I went to the Tower at the edge of the Old Port, then I walked along the cobbled streets of Old Montréal. I found a souvenir shop, went in the Christmas Store and bought an ornament, and stood outside Notre Dame Cathedral. Tourists are able to go inside the Cathedral - entrance costs $10CAD. However, as it was a Saturday, a wedding was taking place when I arrived, so I was not able to see inside the Cathedral.

Vieux-Port, Cobbled Street, The Tower, and Notre Dame Cathedral

Mont-Royal

After walking around Vieux-Montréal, it was time to head to Mont-Royal. This is a big hill that is a park too.  People go there to hike, bike, run and walk the path up to the top. Part way up, there is a man-made lake where you can stop and have a picnic. Two more attractions include Le Chalet du Mont-Royal - a lookout over Montréal city centre, and Le Croix du Mont-Royal. It is a good day hike.

Mont-Royal pathway, Le Croix du Mont-Royal, and view of city centre

 ~Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...