Friday 20 April 2012

Mind The Gap


London Underground Sign



Shop on Portobello Road, Notting Hill

Sherlock Holmes Statue, just off Baker Street

Tower Bridge
On my first visit to London, in 1999, I was afraid to use the London Underground. It was very scary. All those confusing lines on the map were very intimidating.

When I returned ten years later, I had a very full day of going to Abbey Road, Baker Street, Notting Hill, Kensington, Kensington Palace, and finally Hyde Park. The only way to do this quickly was to use the Underground.

It is not as scary as it seemed. In fact, the London Underground is a brilliant system that is very easy to use. There are signs posted at the beginning of tunnels telling you what stations are on that particular line. Then, once on the platform, there are signs again indicating which stations are along the line. It is simple, really.

I love the Tube. It is one of my favourite things about London. It makes transportation easy for commuters and makes the whole city accessible.

As you descend to the platform, there are signs on the escalators reminding you to keep right. This is so that you do not slow down passengers who are in a hurry. When you get to the platform and a train is approaching, you are reminded to "Mind the Gap!"

Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...