Saturday 21 April 2012

Democracy and Government in New Zealand and Canada

 I voted in the Advance Polls today for the Alberta Election. This got be thinking about the Parliament buildings in New Zealand. It also reminded me of the history behind women's right to vote.

The parliament buildings in Wellington, New Zealand were each constructed during a different period starting in the late 1800's and ending in the 1970's. The House of Representatives and part of the library were destroyed by fire as well. So each has a very different style.

The Parliament building is called the Beehive, because that is what it looks like. The House of Representatives was built again in 1912. The cool thing about both the House of Representatives and the Library is that the foundation was enhanced by concrete and rubber cushions to make it so that they are earthquake proof. I'm not sure how to explain this without visuals, but I will try since I was not allowed to take photos. A mote was dug out around the original foundation and new concrete was poured. Then holes were drilled into the old foundation and rubber springs (I forget the exact name of these special coils) were placed into the holes. So the old foundation and the entire building is resting on the new foundation and the springs. When an earthquake happens, the ground moves, but the building stays put. Really cool.

I think one of the coolest things about New Zealand is that it was the first country to allow women the right to vote. In 1893, New Zealand Parliament passed a law that allowed women to vote for the first time. Since then, New Zealand has had two female Prime Ministers.

I think it is important for women to vote. We did not always have that right. When I watch "Anne of Green Gables", there is one part in which Marilla, Rachel Linde, and the Barry's go to Charlottetown to meet the Prime Minister of Canada, who at that time would have been Sir Wilfred Laurier. Anne is left in Avonlea with Matthew. They talk about politics and she asks him which party he votes for. Anne says to Matthew that if she had the right to vote, she would vote the same as him.

This is a reminder to me that we did not always have the right to vote in Canada. Between 1914 and 1960, women were granted the right to vote  in various provinces across Canada. I am reminded, as a Calgarian, of Nellie McClung and the Group of Five, who fought for women's right to vote in Canada.

So, don't let history and those who fought for our rights and freedoms be a waste. Get out and vote. It's your right!

Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...