Tuesday 29 May 2012

Harry Potter Tour

In 2009 I decided it was time to return to England. I had not been there in ten years and it was time to go back and see what lay beyond London. That said, I did want to spend a few days in London and that is why I decided to research filming locations for the Harry Potter movies and create my own Harry Potter tour.

At the time, filming was taking place at Leavesden Studios, just outside of London, for the final Harry Potter film. I could have gone and stood outside the fence, but that seemed like a waste of time to me. Now, since March 2012, tours of Leavesden Studios are available to the public. I hope to return one day and do a tour.   http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/

After spending four days in London doing and seeing everything I missed the first time, I started the Harry Potter portion of my trip. First stop - Gloucester Cathedral. Scenes from the first film and more recently Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince were filmed at the cathedral. I had booked a tour before leaving Canada, but was disappointed when I arrived to find that I knew more about the books and movies than my guide. I even pointed out an area where scenes were filmed from HP6 when he failed to notice. Not exactly the best tour, but I am glad I went and it was an interesting historical tour of the cathedral anyway.

Gloucester Cathedral - Scenes from Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone were filmed here.

After that I went to Bath. A day tour from Bath took me to Lacock National Trust Village, a historical site in England. www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lacock/  The house from the first film, in which Harry and his parents lived in when he was little, where his mother died for him, is located in Lacock Village. Also, the house where Harry and Dumbledore meet Professor Slughorn is in the Village.

Harry Potter House from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

My last stop was Oxford, specifically Christ Church College. This is where the Hogwarts stairs are. The scene from the first film where Harry meets Malfoy were shot in Christ Church College on the marble staircase leading to the Great Hall. Also, the Great Hall in Christ Church College was the inspiration for the Great Hall set at Leavesden Studios. Tours start at 12:00 noon.

~Angie



Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...