Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Great Barrier Reef




Coral in the Great Barrier Reef

The Great Barrier Reef is so amazing, I snorkeled it twice! The first time I went to the Southern Great Barrier Reef, out of Airlie Beach. It was really neat to see the coral. I was a bit scared, though, because the waves were really strong out in the ocean like that.

The second time I went, it was out of Cairns. This was better. The water is clearer in the Northern Great Barrier Reef. My tour took us to two different places. The first was Michaelmas Cay (http://www.cairnsattractions.com.au/michaelmas-cay.php). This was really cool. It is another world under the sea. Very peaceful. It is really neat to see all the fish. I saw lots of different types of colourful fish, and the coral is so pretty! Michaelmas Cay is a bird sanctuary, so when I put my head above water, it was like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". It was very noisy above water! The second place the tour took us to was again, out in the middle of the ocean. Again, I did not like swimming there, so I went for a little while, but probably could have stayed out longer. The fish and coral were amazing to see.

Fish in the Great Barrier Reef

Coral in the Great Barrier Reef

~Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...