Sunday 13 May 2012

Lost & Found in Bath

"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

I tend to get lost when I travel. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes by accident. One place where it is very easy to get lost by accident is Bath, England. In North America, our towns and cities are designed on a square grid that is easy to follow. Bath is another matter entirely.

The roads follow no set design, they twist and turn and to add to the confusion, there are traffic circles! One famous traffic circle in Bath is the Circus. Just beyond the Circus is the Royal Palace on the Royal Crescent. 

On a map, these roads look like a question mark. After that though, the roads flow off in various directions and it is very confusing. I had to find landmarks to have a vague idea of where I was and how to get back to my hostel!


Royal Palace

The Roman Bath Houses are a good landmark for reference. These are located in the centre of the main tourist area of Bath and they have the famous Thermae Bath Spa located above. Tourists can rent audio devices so that they can tour the bath houses at their own speed and not miss anything about the history of the Roman Baths. (www.romanbaths.co.uk)


Roman Bath House



~Angie

Featured post

What I Learned While Backpacking - Tips On Packing, Money, And Safety

I traveled by myself to the South Pacific - specifically New Zealand. I went to Los Angeles, then spent one month in Australia, then backpa...